VPN access with Cisco AnyConnect VPN (Windows)
Cisco AnyConnect VPN
Authorized employees of the university can use Cisco AnyConnect to access restricted campus resources, such as Banner, when using an Adams State University computer from off campus.
To request VPN access please submit a ticket at https://helpdesk.adams.edu. Please note, VPN access may need approval from a supervisor, CIO, and/or HR where applicable. Computing Services technicians will assist with client installation and configuration.
Connect with the Cisco AnyConnect Client
You will need to authenticate using your ASU username and password as well as a certificate to connect using the Cisco AnyConnect Client. If you have not yet imported your certificate please see certificate import instructions below.
- Click Start > All Programs
- Click the Cisco Folder.
- Click the Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility Client program.
- You may also have an icon in your system tray for the Cisco Anyconnect client. You can also launch the client by double clicking the icon in the system tray.
- Enter vpn1.adams.edu in the text box and click Connect
- You will be prompted to select your certificate. Select the certificate with the name cn=yourusername issuer of vpn1.adams.edu.
- Enter your ASU username and password
- The icon in the system tray will show a lock when connected to the vpn.
Disconnect from the Cisco Anyconnect VPN client
- Right Click the Cisco Anyconnect VPN client icon in your system tray
- Select Disconnect
Import Certificate for Multifactor Authentication
To increase security you will need a certificate in addition to your username and password to connect to the VPN. You will receive an email from email@example.com with a one time password that can be used to retrieve your certificate. You will have 36 hours to complete your certificate enrollment.
- Click on the link provided in the email and enter your one time password (OTP) to retrieve your certificate. You will not be able to retrieve your certificate using your normal ASU password. Make sure you use the one time password to retrieve your certificate.
- After you successfully enter your username and password the certificate will be downloaded to your computer. Right click on the certificate and select Install PFX
- The Certificate Import Wizard will start. Select Current User as the store location, then click next.
- Verify file location, then click next
- Enter the one time password for the certificate that you received in the enrollment email.
- Select the "Place all certificates in the following store" option and click Browse. Select "Personal" as the certificate store location.
- Click next, then Finish to complete the Certificate Import Wizard. You will see The import was successful on completion of certificate import.
Downloading AnyConnect VPN Client for Windows / MAC / Linux
After you have installed the VPN Certificate on your system you can open up your web browser and navigate to https://vpn1.adams.edu
- Login with your ASU Domain Username and Password
- Click on "AnyConnect"
- Click on "Start AnyConnect"
- Click on "Download for XYZ" the "XYZ" will be replaced by either Windows / MAC or Linux depending from what system you are logging in from.