Student Email Setup on Mobile Phones
The following instructions are for student accounts. For staff instructions visit Email Setup - Smart Phones
Setting up your email on a smartphone can be a tricky task. Each phone has different ways of saying the same thing. All you need to know are the settings below.
Note: You must make sure that IMAP settings are enabled on your gmail account.
- Account Name: your full email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Email Address: your full email address (email@example.com)
- Password: your email password
- Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server
- IMAP Server: imap.gmail.com
- Security Type: SSL
- Port: 993
- Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
- SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
- Use Authentication: Yes
- Security Type: TLS
- Port: 465 or 587
Student email is set up through Google and therefore we have to configure mobile devices for student email using gmail settings. We found instructions for setting up specific devices on a google help page so we decided to put them below. These set up instructions are taken directly from http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=75726.
- On your phone, press < Home >, then open the Email application.
- On the 'Your accounts' page, select Next to get started with setup.
- Enter your full Gmail address and password, then select Next.
- On the next screen, you can give the account a nickname and choose the name to display on your outgoing messages. Tap Done.
- You can verify your settings from the Inbox view by tapping < Menu > > Account settings.
- additional help can be found at http://learngoogle.adams.edu/mobile-users-3
Incoming settings, IMAP server: imap.gmail.com, Port: 993, Security type: SSL (always)
Outgoing settings, SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com, Port: 465, Security type: SSL (always)
- Make sure you've enabled IMAP in your main Gmail settings
- Open the Settings app on your device
- Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Tap Add Account...
- Tap Gmail
- Enter your account information, being sure to use your full Gmail address, including '@gmail.com'
- Tap Next
- Tap Save
- You can add additional Gmail accounts by repeating the same steps above.
- additional help can be found at http://learngoogle.adams.edu/mobile-users-2