Address Book - Exporting and Importing Contacts
Who wants to spend their day creating new contacts for their entire address book? We will show you how to easily export your address book from Thunderbird and Squirrelmail and just as easily import those contacts to Google Contacts.
Exporting from Thunderbird
Exporting your contacts from Thunderbird is really easy. Please follow the following steps:
- When logged into Thunderbird, click Address Book at the top of the screen.
- Here you should see at least two address books. You should see “Personal Address Book” and “Collected Addresses.” Click on your Personal Address Book then select Tools at the top of the window.
- Select Export
- When the Save window pops-up, go ahead and give it a name such as “Address Book.” Then, select the drop-down box and selectComma Separated. Then, click Save.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for your Collected Addresses and any other address books you may have. Just make sure they all have a different name before you save them.
Exporting from Outlook
Outlook contact information isn’t just for work-related communication. Some of your professional contacts might also be friends, and you’d like to reach them Gmail. Exporting your contacts is a breeze.
- In the top left, click File
- Click Options
- Click Advanced
- In the Export section, click Export
- In the wizard that pops up, choose Export to a file then click Next
- Under Create a file of type, pick Comma Separated Values then click Next
- Under Select the folder to export from, select the contact folder you want to export, then click Next
- Under Save exported file as, click Browse, choose the folder where you want to save the file, type a name in the File name box, click OK then Next
- Click Finish When the Import and Export progress box disappears, your export is complete.
Importing to Google Contacts
Importing your contacts into Google is extremely easy and can be done with just a few clicks. The hardest part is trying to get to where you need to go. Please follow the following steps:
- When logged into Gmail, select Mail at the top of the left sidebar and selectContacts.
- Select the More tab at the top and click Import.
- ClickBrowse… and search for your contact files. (Recommend to have them in all one location to find them easily.) Select one of them and click Open. Click Import.
- Your contact will be imported. Follow steps 2-3 to import more contact files.
- Optional: If you think you may have multiple copies of the same contacts, you can also merge them into one. Click theMore tab at the top and click Find & merge duplicates… This is search all your contacts in Google and find any with the same username. A list will pop-up with ones that it finds. This will merge any with the same username and insert both into only one contact. Once you review the contacts that it wants to merge, clickMerge.