Copy Email Messages from Student Gmail to Alumni Gmail
Your student email account is deleted after you have not been enrolled in classes for 4 semesters. If you would like to retain a copy of your email messages, you can copy them to another account. The directions below are for copying your email to another Gmail account. ASU graduates are eligible for an Alumni Gmail account. For more information on getting your Alumni Gmail account please see this link: http://www.adams.edu/alumni/emailfaq.php
You should notify any contacts of the change of email address.
For more information, please see Google's help article on the process:
To copy existing email messages from your ASU student account (@grizzlies.adams.edu) to your alumni account, or another personal Gmail account:
Before starting, make sure you have two factor authentication disabled and "Allow Less Secure Apps" enabled on your Grizzlies account. You can access the less secure apps link here: https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps
- Sign into your account to you want to move the mail to, such as your *alumni* account or personal Gmail account.
- Click the gear icon, then select "Settings"
- Open the "Accounts" tab
- In the "Check mail from other accounts" section, select the "Add a POP3 mail account you own" option
- Enter your *student Gmail *address and select "Next Step"
- Enter your *full student email in the Username Field.(firstname.lastname@example.org)*
- Enter your password
- The pop server is: pop.gmail.com Port:995
- Ensure to tick the check box: Always use a secure connection (SSL)
- Select the options you want (label incoming messaging, archiving old messages, etc)
- Click "Add Account"
- Do not enable sending as your Grizzlies email account.
- You may receive a verification email on your student Gmail. You will need to log into your @grizzlies.adams.edu email account to verify that your new gmail account (alumni or personal) is allowed to retrieve the email from your @grizzlies.adams.edu account.
- It may take a few minutes for the mail to be copied from your @grizzlies.adams.edu to your new gmail account, depending on the amount of mail you have in your account.
To forward future mail sent to your student account to your alumni account:
This will only forward new messages sent to your student account as long as it is active. Once the student email account is deleted, the forwarding will stop.
- Log in to your *student Gmail* and click the gear icon
- Select Settings
- Select the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab
- Click on "Add a forwarding address"
- Enter your alumni email address.
- You'll get a verification email at your new email address, click that verification link
Please note: Your email will only forward FROM your student account to your ALUMNI account, for as long as the student account remains open.
Importing to Google Contacts
Importing your contacts into Google is extremely easy and can be done with just a few clicks. The hardest part is trying to get to where you need to go. Please follow the following steps:
- Sign into the source Google account.
- Select More > Export
- Select Google CSV format (for importing into a Google account)
- Save the File
- Log into the destination Gmail Account.
- Select Mail at the top of the left sidebar and selectContacts.
- Select the More tab at the top and click Import.
- ClickBrowse… and search for your contact files. (Recommend to have them in all one location to find them easily.) Select one of them and click Open. Click Import.
- Your contact will be imported. Follow steps 2-3 to import more contact files.
- Optional: If you think you may have multiple copies of the same contacts, you can also merge them into one. Click theMore tab at the top and click Find & merge duplicates… This is search all your contacts in Google and find any with the same username. A list will pop-up with ones that it finds. This will merge any with the same username and insert both into only one contact. Once you review the contacts that it wants to merge, clickMerge.
Having Issues Transferring?
- log into your student (@grizzlies.adams.edu) account
- Go the the Gear icon then click settings
- Go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab in settings
- Click to Enable POP for all mail then click to save changes at the bottom of the page
- Go back to your alumni or personal account and try transferring your email using the steps at the top of the page.